After nearly four weeks of renovating, the plumbing is finally coming together. We discovered that the previous owner ignored existing problems, so we had to fix “OLD/cob-jobbed” problems on top of “Gee, the house has been empty for over three years” problems.
The bathroom above the dining room leaked…and leaked…and leaked…until the ceiling started dripping…and dripping…and collapsing.
The ceiling had layers–sheet rock over plaster, over metal to hold the plaster, over concrete (yes, concrete), over wood planks…oh, and the pipes were EMBEDDED in the concrete. Yeah. *flails*
On the flip side, I’m happy to be resolving the issues NOW rather than after I’ve moved in…If I had waited, well, the picture above would have been much worse and would have likely included furniture damage.
Other good news includes:
- I have 3-prong outlets now!
- Lighting will be improved
- I have learned how to fix minor plaster issues (…but not the big ones)
- I have a refrigerator and washer/dryer!
- I now have “friends” at Lowe’s and The Home Depot (seriously, most of the staff recognize me know because I’ve gone to one store or the other, like, daily)
- I will be moving in two weeks (no matter what the place looks like, LOL!)
- I ❤ my house!
Guess you gotta tear things apart to make them better, huh? Kinda like writing. 😉
Be sure to check out Lydia’s response to her writerly question for the Sisterhood of the Traveling Blog, ‘kay?